Illya KostinSpecializations: Pharmaceutical Regulatory, Intellectual Property Law, Dispute Resolution, Employment & Labor Law, Criminal Law
Partner, Attorney-at-law, Patent and trade mark attorney
- Law Faculty of Simferopol State M. Frunze University
- Institute of Intellectual Property of Odessa National Academy of Law in Kyiv
Illya Kostin has been practicing law since 1994. Mr. Kostin focuses his professional interests on pharmaceutical regulation, intellectual property, labor and criminal law.
Mr. Kostin chairs the firm’s Intellectual Property practice area. He handles patent infringement and other IP litigation matters.
Mr. Kostin’s experience in the area of labor law, in particular concerning the representation of employers’ interests, traces its roots to the beginning of 2000. Since then he has regularly been involved in all types of business and employment matters, from drafting employee policies, procedures and handbooks, to negotiating employment contracts and contractual disputes, to defending his clients against claims of all kinds.
Illya Kostin has more than one hundred publications in legal magazines on pharmaceutical law issues, intellectual property, dispute resolution and legal business.
Since 2017 IIlya Kostin is a member of the Qualification-Disciplinary Committee of Lawyers in Kyiv region.
Illya Kostin is a founder of the Charitable Organization «Charitable Foundation for Soldiers’ and their Families Support «The Circle», which implemented a number of projects of legal and social focus.
Representative legal matters
- Protection of the interests of international manufacturer of cosmetics in domain dispute.
- Representation of foreign pharmaceutical manufacturer in the litigation with a German pharmaceutical company for invalidation of the certificate for a trademark of branded medicinal product.
- Performing the project on transfer of rights for trademarks for goods and services of several dozen OTC and RX drugs, including a group of antibiotics, antidepressants and other drugs for the multinational pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Protecting the rights of the pharmaceutical manufacturer Jadran, for the “Vagisan” drug trade mark in all court instances, including the Supreme Economic Court of Ukraine.
- Legal support of the transaction of exclusive rights transfer for the trademarks used for medicines.
- Advising Client, a global pharmaceutical company, on the issue of data exclusivity of the original drug of pediatric group.
- Legal support of the process of registration of trademarks for the entire panel of products of a major pharmaceutical products manufacturer.
- Representation of a large foreign pharmaceutical company in litigation on intellectual property rights to an invention protected by the patent.
- Representation of the client in litigation to ban use and cancel the registration of Indian manufacturers’ medicinal product, which violated the rights of our Client.
- Successfull extrajudicial settlement of the conflict on the rights to the slogan between the two international pharmaceutical companies.
- Advising projects of TACIS “Primary and secondary health care in Ukraine, Kiev, and selected areas" (European Union - CII / EPOS Consulting, Germany, 2003-2004) and "Support of development of the system of health care standards in Ukraine" (European Union - Nicare, Ireland, 2005-2006).
Admission to the Bar
- Ukraine (2005)
- Client Choice. Top 100 Best Lawyers of Ukraine 2018 notes Illya Kostin among the leaders in the area of Medicine/Pharmaceutics and Intellectual Property. In addition, Illya Kostin is recognised among the TOP100 best lawyers of Ukraine in 2018.
- Illya Kostin received The Best Lawyers™ 2019 Life Sciences "Lawyer of the Year" award in Kyiv, based on the highest overall peer-feedback for this specific practice area and geographic region. Also, Illya has been listed in Intellectual Property, Life Sciences Practice and Litigation.
- The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa 2018 recommendes Illya Kostin among leading professionals with extensive expertise in Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property.
- LMG Life Sciences named Illya Kostin among Life Sciences Stars for his regulatory work.
- Illya Kostin received recognition in Regulatory, Patent Litigation and Transactional and named among the leading Life Sciences lawyers in the world according to Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences 2018 independent legal market research.
- Illya Kostin, according to Ukrainian Law Firms: a Handbook for Foreign Clients, is at the top of the list of the strongest Ukrainian specialists practicing IP, litigation, labor and pharmaceutical regulatory.
- In 2011-2012 and 2014-2015 Economica publishing house included Illya Kosting in the list of best TOP-managers of Ukraine in law-business after the research “TOP-100. Best top-managers of Ukraine”.
- Kyiv Branch of Council of Attorneys-at-Law of Ukraine. Head of the Committee on Protecting Professional Rights of Attorneys and Guarantees of Attorneys Activity (2015 - 2017)
- Ukrainian Bar Association. UBAs' representative in the Public Council under the Ministry of Health of Ukraine (2011-2017). Head of Pharmaceutical Law Committee of Ukrainian Bar Association.
- Ukrainian Lawyers Association
- European Business Association
- International Association of Trademark Owners (INTA)
- International Group for the Protection of pharmaceutical trademarks (PTMG)